Going on a trip? If yes, are you protected?
This should be the first question anyone travelling should ask themselves. We Indians love to travel. Travelling can be a part of vacation, studies or business, although the list is endless but one thing which is common for all types of travel is the unforeseen mishap which may occur while you travel to a foreign land.
No matter how squarely the travel has been planned, things might go haywire. You may lose your baggage, become a victim of stolen passport, and the most devastating of all is any health emergency if might occur. You are all on your own if any such thing happens. But, you don’t have to worry a thing if you a have a Travel Insurance policy with you.
There are plenty companies in the Indian market which provide you with travel insurance policies. It becomes a bit difficult sometimes to make a choice. We however will compare some of them for you to get you an idea. But before that let us discuss some of the key features which any travel insurance plan.
Key features of Travel Insurance Policies
- Hospitalization and Medical Treatment Expenses: Medical Emergencies can occur anytime. The policy should cover for any medical expense occurring while travelling.
- Coverage for the belongings: The policy should cover for the things you carry with while travelling.
- Flight cover: In case of missed or cancelled flight due to any miss event the policy should cover up the expense incurred.
- Luggage cover: In case of missing luggage or theft the policy should cover for the same.
- Customized policies for senior citizens: The requirements of a senior citizen differs from that of general public so should be the policy
- Policy for frequent travellers: To avoid the hassle of getting insurance every time you travel.
TATA AIG Travel Insurance.
One of the leading names in the market of Travel Insurance in India, Tata AIG Insurance is serving the Indian market for more than two decades. Tata AIG is a joint venture between TATA group and an American Insurance company AIG. Hence, TATA AIG.
Tata AIG is always committed to make your travel trouble free so that you can bring back home some happy memories with you. Its comprehensive policies are extensively designed to cater all the travel related expenses which may occur as a part of miss event and emergency.
Below are the types and benefits of Travel Insurance provided by Tata AIG.
- International Travel Insurance
The policy is designed for the people who are an international traveller. The policy covers following benefits.
- Theft or loss of passport and baggage.
- Delay and cancellation of flights.
- Cover for the loss of payment cards
- Extensive medical expenditure including transport back to India.
The policy covers for travellers from age of 6 and above. They also have a customized policy for people who are frequent travellers.
- Domestic Travel Insurance
The policy can be taken by people who travel within the geometrical boundaries of India.
- Travel reimbursements in case of delay or cancellation of flight.
- Medical benefits are also included in case of hospitalization.
There is also an option for Multi Trip policy in which you are covered for an entire year no matter how many times you travel.
- Student Travel Insurance: The policy is designed especially for students who travel abroad for studies.
- Senior Citizen Travel Insurance: The policy is exclusively tailored to cater the needs of senior citizens. The policy includes extensive medical covers like dental, medical evacuation and repatriation of mortal remains.
There are several other features which make TATA AIG stand out of crowd and the most important thing is Trust that comes with the name TATA.
Reliance Travel Insurance
Reliance Travel Insurance is provided to you by Reliance General Insurance a part of Reliance Industries.
Types of Reliance Travel Insurance
- Solo and family trip Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Senior Citizen Travel Insurance
- Insurance for frequent Travellers.
Key features of Reliance Travel Insurance
- Country specific plans
- Instant policy approval
- No Pre medical check up
- Facility of cashless hospitalization all over the world.
There are four types of plans in each category: Standard, Silver, Gold and Platinum.
The plans are categorized according to the coverage they provide. The platinum is the best policy the company has to offer. It gives you a medical cover of 500,000 USD for solo trips. It also includes other benefits like loss of baggage and passport, trip delay and cancellation, compassionate visit and also home protection from burglary while you are away.
Policy Bazaar Travel Insurance
Policy Bazaar itself isn’t an Insurance provider but makes sure you get the best policy in the market which suits your needs. A decade ago there was chaos in the Insurance Market. Due to lack of information people ended up buying policies which didn’t fulfill their purpose and finally surrendering it. Policy Bazaar however came into existence and the problem was solved.
Policy bazaar helps you compare the Travel Insurance policies provided by different companies, calculate their premium and even buy them. Policy Bazaar has tied ups with the Insurance Company brokers and collects information directly from the insurer and provides it to you according to your needs.
Travel Insurance covers you for all the unforeseen adversities. No matter where you travel, domestic or international, travel insurance policy from a trusted insurance company will never let you feel alone while you travel in an unknown territory. You can have all the peace of mind and enjoy our trip or focus on your work without worrying about a thing. Reliance and TATA both are amongst the best Insurance providers in India. You can choose any one of them according to your needs.
If you still have further queries and doubts you can easily visit Policy Bazaar online or get in touch with any of their customer care executives. They will make sure you get the best policy at the best price.
- Aditya Birla Health Insurance
- Bajaj Allianz Health Insurance
- Care Health Insurance
- Cholamandalam Health Insurance
- Digit Health Insurance
- Edelweiss Health Insurance
- Future Generali Health Insurance
- HDFC ERGO General Health Insurance
- HDFC Ergo Health Insurance
- IFFCO Tokio Health Insurance
- Kotak Mahindra Health Insurance
- Liberty Health Insurance
- ManipalCigna Health Insurance
- Max Bupa Health Insurance
- National Health Insurance
- New India Health Insurance
- Oriental Health Insurance
- Raheja QBE Health Insurance
- Reliance Health Insurance
- Royal Sundaram Health Insurance
- SBI Health Insurance
- Star Health Insurance
- Tata AIG Health Insurance
- United India Health Insurance
- Universal Sompo Health Insurance
Latest Blogs in Health Insurance Plans
List of Top Travel Insurance Companies in India are-
- TATA AIG -
- APOLLO MUNICH -
- BHARTI AXA -
- BAJAJ ALLIANZ -
- SBI GENERAL INSURANCE -
- ROYAL SUNDARAM-
- HDFC ERGO -
- RELIANCE -
- RELIGARE -
- ICICI LOMBARD -
Frequently Asked Questions
Travel Insurance is a kind of insurance that protects you in case of any accidental loss or damage while traveling. It covers for the cost occurring due to loss of health, life, and/or property. Travel Insurance also covers for any emergency medical facility or treatment required in the span of your travel. There are various types of travel policies that are specifically designed for the type of travel you are intended for. Few Insurance Policies also cover you for the rented equipment, rental vehicles, and in some case ransom requests. There are many companies in the market which provide you with the desired travel policy as per request.
Travel Insurance is broadly classified into two categories:
- Standard travel insurance policy
- Medical travel insurance policy.
Standard Travel Insurance policy includes all the basic features such as cover for loss or damage of property and medical expenses etc.
Medical Travel Insurance on the other hand provides extensive cover for any medical emergency or treatment charges which occur during your travel. It is advised to take a Medical Travel Insurance if you are traveling for a long duration and especially while traveling abroad as the medical expenses can cross limits in the foreign land. It will also include some basic features apart from medical expenses.
Unlike automobile insurance travel insurance isn’t compulsory, it is up to you if you want it or not. Although it’s highly recommended to have one before you plan your travel as it is always better to be safe than sorry later.
There is a wide variety of services provided in travel insurance policy depending upon the type of policy you choose. There are 5 major benefits enlisted below:
- Coverage for trip cancellation: The most common category of service provided by all most every other travel insurance policy. Emergencies such as sickness, injury, or death may lead to trip cancellation. Canceling your trip can be a huge financial loss especially when hotel bookings and tickets have already been paid off. Trip cancellation coverage comes in handy in such situations.
- Medical Emergencies: Travel Insurance covers you for any medical emergency expensethat occurred while traveling. Foreign countries especially Europe and America have highly expensive medical facilities. In such cases, it becomes difficult to get proper treatment all by yourself. Travel Insurance helps comes at your rescue in such a situation.
- Delayed flights, lost luggage and passport: Loss or theft of your luggage and passport can land you in great trouble. Travel Insurance assists in such cases. It also covers for the delayed or canceled flights.
- Evacuation in case of emergency: God forbid if you get into any situation where an emergency evacuation is required travel insurance pays for the cost of traveling i.e. return flight to home and/or any hospital of your choice at home.
- 24/7 worldwide phone assistance: It is like a lifeline when you get stuck in some trouble. In case of loss of property or medical emergency conditions, there should be someone you can call.
Imagine the day has arrived when you are all set to go on a vacation which you have been planning for a long time. Everything was going according to your plan when you suddenly realize that you lost your baggage upon reaching your destination. Horrible isn’t it? Travel Insurance comes to your rescue in such a situation and gets you out of your misery.
Here are 4 major cases in which a Travel Insurance can be a boon:
- Loss of luggage, passport, and documents: Travel Insurance can help you in such cases. It can cover the cost of making a duplicate or new passport. It can compensate for the value of essential items lost in your luggage upto an approved amount. It also compensates for the cost incurred by you in case of delayed luggage.
- Medical emergencies: In case of any injury or health issue a travel insurance policy covers you for the hospital charges and other expenses. A proper Medical Travel Insurance in itself is enough to cater for all your hospital and health-related issues.
- Delay in flight or cancellation: In case of delay of the flight in which you have planned to travel or even if the flight gets canceled due to any airline problem you will be reimbursed up to a certain limit for the amount you have paid earlier.
- Medical evacuation in case of emergency: In case any health emergency occurs to you during traveling in which you need to be shifted from a certain place to a hospital or from hospital to home, all expenses will be taken care of by the travel insurance.
There are several benefits that a Travel Insurance can provide but it is necessary to know what does your policy cover and what it does not.
Below are 10 items which your policy won’t cover (can differ from policy to policy):
- Already existing sickness or health condition: Your Travel Insurance will not cover you for any pre-existing health conditions.
- Dental Treatment: No regular dental check-up is covered under the policy. It only covers acute dental problems due to trauma and that too for original teeth.
- Damage due to mental health issue or suicide attempt: In case of self-inflicted injuries such as occurring in the attempt of suicide will not be covered.
- Traveling for medical treatment: If your sole purpose for travel is to get medically treated, the expenses won’t be covered under the travel policy.
- Pregnancy and childbirth complications: Any complications occurring due to pregnancy while traveling is not covered. Any hospital expense occurring due to complications such as miscarriage or abortion is also not covered.
- Natural calamities: Travel Insurance covers for the natural disasters occurring during travel. In the case of traveling after any natural emergency has already occurred, you are not liable for any cover.
- Adventure sports and the risks involved in them are not covered by any Travel Insurance Policy.
- Bad weather: If your trip or travel gets canceled due to sudden rain or storm you are not eligible for any cover. Cancellation of flight is covered but not if you cancel your plan due to bad weather.
- In case of not providing necessary documents and details.
- The claim is beyond the policy covers.
In most cases, travel insurance will reimburse you for all the expenses you have incurred during your travel in case of any emergency. You file the claim, it is approved and you are reimbursed as simple as that. You only have to submit the relevant documents which prove that you have incurred loss during your travel and you have paid for it. The company will verify your claim-related documents and will compensate you for the same. These processes can take place in person or online and even on phone.
To give you an idea of how it works in a real-life scenario, suppose you bought tickets off a cruise liner to spend your long-awaited vacation. Just 2 or 3 days before your journey you started feeling unwell and got yourself checked up. It was found that you have a serious health issue. Your doctor also advises you not to travel. You contact your cruise booking office and ask to cancel your tickets. But it was found that the tickets cannot be canceled and no money will be refunded.Your Travel Insurance comes to play in such a scenario. After you get well collect all your relevant documents including your travel and medication and file a claim. It will be processed and credited directly to your bank account or given to you as a cheque whatever you require.
It is similar for all other claims such as medical or loss of property etc.
You need a Travel Insurance before you travel like you need an umbrella before going out in bad weather. Travel Insurance is an Umbrella that Protects and covers you for an unprecedented and unforeseen misfortune. Travel Insurance ensures you have extra protection if your trip or holiday does not go as you had planned. Especially when you are traveling alone and there is no one to take care of you in case of any trouble you get into.
Travel Insurance will protect you from the following things which may go wrong:
- Trip cancellation or cutting short your travel due to things that are beyond your control.
- Missing flight or transport or any delay in departure due to reasons you can’t explain and are beyond your control.
- Medical emergencies occurring during you stay in abroad or traveling.
- Any personal injury due to accident or in worst case death.
- Loss of luggage, passport, or other personal and essential belongings. Theft and other unfortunate events.
- Accidental damage or loss which maybe caused because of you.
Suppose now you have incurred any of the above problems you have to pay from your pocket. You may or may or may not be able to bear the expense. In case of not able to bear the expense especially in case of a medical emergency, it can be a matter of life and death. Travel Insurance Policy helps you in such bad situations and covers the expenses.